Friday, January 30, 2015

From a friend of a friend

Bruce XXX
     I've been a registered Republican since I was 17. Since my birthday is at the end of October, I was allowed to register before turning 18 in order to vote a week or two later in November of 1979. Since then, I have voted in every primary and general election except the primary of 1988 where George Bush had already secured the nomination. That day I was sent out to Pottstown on a shooting and just missed the polls closing. Always felt guilty about that, truth be told. 

     Anyhow,......... as far as I'm concerned, how the other party chooses their candidates is their business. Something seems not-quite-right, however, about candidates party switching only to enhance the possibility of winning elections. It is one thing to say your belief system has changed and you are more aligned with the other party, or that your own party has changed so much, you no longer agree with its principles. I hear some who say "party shouldn't matter" for this or that office. Maybe not. But character matters for any office, and an opportunistic party change because a person thinks he/she has a better chance at winning by fooling voters into thinking he/she is something they're not, it seems to me, would rub the electorate the wrong way. What are your thoughts? Is my feeling way off base?

No comments: