Saturday, February 7, 2015

HE SHOULD TAKE HIMSELF OFF PERMANENTLY

Brian Williams to Take Himself Off Nightly News for the 'Next Several Days'

NBC Nightly News anchor and managing editor Brian Williams on Saturday said that he will take a break from anchoring the broadcast for "the next several days." His announcement comes after he clarified this week that he incorrectly remembered details in a 2003 reporting mission to Iraq.
Williams, in a note to NBC News staff, said it has "become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions."
In a piece that aired on Nightly News last week, Williams told the story of how a military helicopter he was passenger in during an assignment in Iraq took on enemy fire. But on Wednesday, Williams told viewers he had made a mistake in recalling the incident. He and his team were actually in an aircraft that was following the helicopter that was hit, he said.
NBC News president Deborah Turness announced Friday that there will be an internal review of the reporting that followed the events in Iraq.

Here is Williams' full statement:
In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions.
As Managing Editor of NBC Nightly News, I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days, and Lester Holt has kindly agreed to sit in for me to allow us to adequately deal with this issue. Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us.

No comments: