Saturday, November 21, 2015

Facebook Blocks This Guy Because Of His Unusual Name

An Australian man took to social media to prove that his name was real after Facebook reportedly blocked his page.
Phuc Dat Bich, a 23-year-old Vietnamese-Australian, posted an image of his passport on Facebook after the website blocked his page several times out of concern that his name was fake, the Daily Mail reports. Although the picture of his passport was posted on Jan. 28, it has recently gone viral and been shared more than 120,000 times.“I find it highly irritating the fact that nobody seems to believe me when I say that my full legal name is how you see it,” he wrote alongside the photo.“I’ve been accused of using a false and misleading name of which I find very offensive,” he added.
   The young man said that his name, which is pronounced “Phoo Da Bic,” prompted Facebook to block him as a result of their name policy.
   “Is it because I’m Asian? Is it?” he asked in his Facebook post. “Having my [Facebook] shut down multiple times and forced to change my name to my ‘real’ name, so just to put it out there. My name. Yours sincerely, Phuc Dat Bich.
phac dat bich - 1
According to the Daily Mail, Bich received mostly positive feedback following the post — with viewers expressing their support for his effort to clarify his name.
   “Bless him in his native language it probably has a beautiful meaning but in our society the first thing we tend to think is oh that’s offensive because all we seem to do is get offended by anything and everything … well done for being brave,” one viewer wrote.
    Others, however, suggested that he consider changing his name to avoid confusion.

No comments: