Sunday, October 26, 2014

I'm a Hazmat-Trained Hospital Worker: Here's What No One Is Telling You About Ebola
 
EBOLA BOTTLE

Update, Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014: New guidelines from the CDC outline their current recommendations for hazmat in a hospital setting for facing suspected or confirmed Ebola cases. They continue to provide clarity on the nature of "airborne" transmission, and I encourage readers to review the explanations if they found my use of the term confusing.

Ebola is brilliant.

It is a superior virus that has evolved and fine-tuned its mechanism of transmission to be near-perfect. That's why we're all so terrified. We know we can't destroy it. All we can do is try to divert it, outrun it. 
I've worked in health care for a few years now. One of the first things I took advantage of was training to become FEMA-certified for hazmat ops in a hospital setting. My rationale for this was that, in my home state of Maine, natural disasters are almost a given. We're also, though you may not know it, a state that has many major ports that receive hazardous liquids from ships and transport them inland. In the back of my mind, of course, I was aware that any hospital in the world could potentially find itself at the epicenter of a scene from The Hot Zone. That was several years ago. Today I'm thinking, by God, I might actually have to use this training. Mostly, though, I'm aware of just that -- that I did receive training. Lots of it. Because you can't just expect any nurse or any doctor or any health care worker or layperson to understand the deconning procedures by way of some kind of pamphlet or 10-minute training video. Not only is it mentally rigorous, but it's physically exhausting. 

No comments: